Friday 17 March 2017

The craziest week of my life

The craziest week of my life

It was almost a year ago that everything in my life completely changed in a week. We had just got the keys to our house and I was only in a week before I was off to Marbella  on my hen do. I happily waved Elliott off (with boxes to unpack) and got on the plane with my mum and bridesmaid Sally. Everyone else was joining us at different times of the week. I'm not a big planner, I just said I'm flying out Tuesday for a week, everyone sort your own flights out and I'll see you there- first come first served with beds- and it all just kind of worked out as we had a nice number of 15 girls! (I love it when a completely unplanned event comes together!)





Thursday night was the night most people arrived so we partied at home, and were greeted to an email from my dad the next day to say that he had been sent an email by the neighbours solicitor about the noise! Friday was the fancy dress night out, Disney of course. We had drinks and hen games at home and then out to Peurto Banus. When I came home I was sick- which is the first time that had ever happened, and I remember thinking how weird it was as I had been a lot more drunk so many times before. But then if you're not sick on your hen do then did you really have a hen do?!






Saturday night we went to my favourite restaurant. I've been going there for my whole life and it still has the same staff. It's the kind of place you just think about all day if you know you are going there. But as soon as the food came out, my stomach turned and I couldn't eat. Now anyone who knows me knows I am NEVER put off my food. I just sat there sipping slowly on the same glass of wine all night. On the Sunday I did wonder if maybe I was pregnant, but obviously in Spain nowhere is open on a Sunday so I wouldn't have been able to get a test. On Monday we spent all day at a beach club by my house and I didn't think about it again.



Tuesday was the day I flew back to Bristol. I had had the best time but was so bummed about the fact I had been ill on my hen do- I never get ill so thought it was just typical that I was on my hen do. Again pregnancy entered my mind, and instead of dismissing it, I popped to the farmacia to get a test. Now, if I had thought that this test was going to be positive, I would have done it a lot differently, but all of a sudden I found myself sat on my bed with my bridesmaid, on my hen do, in Marbella just hours before I'm due to fly home,  both staring at a positive pregnancy test. (And frantically googling if the second line is faint is it still a positive?!) while trying to translate the instructions. When I say I would have done it differently, it was lovely that I found out with one of my closest friends, but I found myself sat there knowing I was pregnant and my husband was at home in a different country with absolutely no idea. I was in shock; over the years scans had shown that my endometriosis had become so severe, that the scar tissue had bound together my ovaries with my uterus and I was told that this may not happen for me.

I was so nervous on the plane home. I felt so sick and all I could smell was beer-breath on the guy behind me. (Oh, preggo nose!!) I played it over and over in my mind how I was going to tell Elliott, and all of a sudden the plane had landed.

Walking out at arrivals, I saw El straight away and looked at him completely differently. The father of my child and he didn't even know it yet. Putting the key into the door of our new home, I stood in outr empty kitchen surrounded by boxes of wedding stuff while everyone sat eating McDonald's wherever they could perch their bum and all I could think was how slowly it seemed that everyone was eating. When they all finally left, I found myself stood in our new kitchen, just us two and this was it. "Babe you know I was ill on my hen do, well I took a test and I'm pregnant"

Life. Changed.

What followed was a Ross Gellar moment of silence, then disbelief, then a dash upstairs to take another test. Which we didn't even have to wait for, it came up straight away.

So yeah, pretty crazy week!

A. M. L. Lala x

1 comment: